Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Senses and senseless

First a few verses that inspired the poem:


Psalm8
OLord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth, who have displayedYour splendor above the heavens! From the mouth of infants and nursing babesYou have established strength because of Your adversaries, to make the enemyand the revengeful cease. When I consider Your heavens, the work of Yourfingers, the moon and the stars which you have ordained; What is man that Youtake thought of him, and the son of man that You care for him? Yet you havemade him a little lower than God, and You crown him with glory and majesty! Youmake him to rule over the works of Your hands; You have put all things underhis feet, all sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field, the birds ofthe heavens and the fish of the sea, whatever passes through the paths of theseas. O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth!  

Job10:8-12 
Yourhands fashioned and made me altogether, and would You destroy me? Remember now,that You have made me as clay, and would You turn me into dust again? Did you notpour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese; Clothe me with skin andflesh, and knit me together with bones and sinews? You have granted me life andloving kindness; and Your care has preserved my spirit.

Psalm139: 13-16
ForYou formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanksto You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are your works, andmy soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was madein secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes haveseen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days thatwere ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them. 



Before I saw, or was yet seen
By any creature here
You saw me Lord, and knew my ways
And saw my life so clear

And cell by cell each hour and day
From nearly nothing I
Was woven Lord, by Master hands
Whose craft none can deny

You gave me eyes, O Lord, to see
The stars and sunset’s flame
Such beauty Lord, as can’t be called
By any fitting name

You gave me touch, to know the feel
Of bark and stone and steel
To feel the cool of ice and wind,
And know my breath is real

You gave me ears, to capture Lord
The sounds of songs and words
And filled the world with music, Lord
Of symphonies and birds

You gave me taste to make my meals
Delicious,wondrous, grand
You filled the world with flavors Lord
So many tastes at hand!

You gave me smell, to better know
The joy of growth and heat
In foods and flowers overwhelmed
My senses are complete.

Oh Lord how great the life you wove-
This intricate design!
How glad I am that this whole life
Is blessedly now mine

We thank you Lord that each of us
Is full of life to live
That you, Lord, wove us each in love
A blessed life to give

I pray each day you will O Lord,
With care our children make
And break O Lord the will of those
Who your creations break

For fearfully you build O Lord
And wonderfully we’re planned
Plant fear O Lord, in those who break
With terror stay their hand

Convict, O Lord, the hearts of those
So blinded in their sin
To know that you’re at work to grow
That precious life within

For every sense that in them dwells
Is mirrored in their womb
O Lord protect the helpless ones
Whom senselessness has doomed

No comments:

Post a Comment